Special Major (Undergraduate)
When an existing, authorized Bachelor's degree, Minor, Certificate, or Non-Certificate Program of Study does not meet the needs of a student, a Special Major or Minor can be requested. The Special Major or Minor can be a first and only program or a second major or minor. In the latter case, students are encouraged to develop a program of study which complements the first major. Programs will be interdisciplinary in nature and will require at least six units of coursework in each of at least two academic units. Materials describing the procedures and requirements applying to special majors and minors can be obtained from the Dean's office in each of the colleges or online at: www.csus.edu/acaf/ge/Student%20Forms/Revised%20Policy%20for%20Special%20Major.pdf. All approvals should be obtained at least one year in advance of graduation date. Final special major program plans with appropriate signatures are submitted to the Dean for Undergraduate Studies, Sacramento Hall 234. The program does not qualify for special major authorization until all parties have approved the program.
To qualify for a Special Major or Minor a student must satisfy the following requirements:
- Before submitting the application to begin work on the Special Major, the student must have a combined grade point average of 2.5 on all coursework completed to that point.
- Describe the educational and career objectives sought.
- Identify and justify the relationship of the pattern of study requested to the objectives sought.
- Outline the coursework and academic activity necessary to complete the objectives cited.
- No more than 6 units may be in Independent Study (199 or similar courses) and Fieldwork (195 or similar courses).
- Obtain the assistance and approval of two or more faculty advisors from the key instructional units listed in the Program of Study as well as the Department or Academic Unit Chairs from those units.
- Obtain the approval of the appropriate college dean(s).
- Submit all materials for review and approval to the Office of Undergraduate Studies, Sacramento Hall 234.
Specific Degree Requirements
- A minimum/maximum total of 120 units are required for the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science Special Major
- A BA Special Major must have a minimum of 24 units
- A BS Special Major must have a minimum of 36 units
- Each Special Major must have a minimum of 6 units in each of the key areas of the degree program
- All other University requirements for a Bachelor’s degree, such as State Code, General Education, upper division minimum requirements, etc. must be met.
- At least two-thirds of the upper division units must be taken in residence at California State University, Sacramento
A minimum of 120 units are required for the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science Special Major. No more than 6 units may be in Independent Study (199 or similar courses) and Fieldwork (195 or similar courses).
The unit requirements for the major are:
BA: no less than 24 units with at least 12 upper division units
BS: no less than 36 units with at least 18 upper division units
In all cases at least two thirds of the upper division units must be taken in residence, i.e., at Sacramento State.
Total units required for the Special Minor: 18, including a minimum of 12 upper division units in the field of specialization.