College of Arts and Letters
Communication Studies is a broad-based discipline concerned with the exchange of messages in interpersonal and mediated situations and with the impact of such exchanges on society. Courses focus on understanding the communication process and developing skills to communicate effectively. The Department offers a wide range of courses in interpersonal, group, and organizational communication, rhetorical theory and criticism, public relations, mass communication and research methodologies.
The Sacramento State Journalism program provides both a general academic experience and professional preparation. Sacramento's program emphasizes writing, editing, writing for interactive media, and other courses necessary to prepare students for success in media-related jobs; it also includes courses that critically examine media as an institution.
The Film Program offers interdisciplinary coursework in the areas of film production, history, theory, criticism, and writing. The Film major aims at developing a deeper understanding of the art and practice of film, its complex components, and the artists whose vision have inspired generations of filmmakers. All students are required to take a common core that provides a foundation for film criticism and production. After completing the core, students select either the film studies or film production track. Students are supervised by the Film Coordinator.
- Communication Studies faculty possess professional expertise and academic excellence. Faculty maintain a high level of scholarly publication, creative activity, consulting, and outstanding teaching.
- The Sacramento State Debate Program is highly ranked nationwide with opportunities for both experienced and beginning debaters.
- The Department's Internship Program serves over 100 students each semester with internships in government agencies, private industry, TV stations, and public service organizations.
- The Department sponsors Epsilon Phi, a chapter of the National Communication honors society Lambda Pi Eta. Students eligible for membership participate in a variety of activities and are recognized at the university's graduation ceremony.
- The Department also sponsors PRSA, our student chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America.
Community Relations Director · Organizational Trainer · Organizational Newsletter Editor · Public Information Specialist · Media Technician · Organizational Consultant · Organizational Trainer and Developer · Personnel Staff · Public Service Agency Staff · Corporate Media Director · Communication Consultant · Public Relations Professional · Video Editor · Video Producer or Director · Health Educator · Fund Raiser · Media Sales and Promotion Staff · Multimedia Project Manager · Community College Instructor · Lobbyist · Speech Writer · Minister · Lawyer · Politician · Consumer Market Researcher · Staff Analyst · Focus Group Leader · Political Campaign Staff · Public Affairs Director · Advertising Account Executive
Reporter · Editor · Columnist · Editorial Writer · Magazine Writer · Speech Writer · Correspondent · Public Affairs Manager · Legislative Assistant · Press Relations Officer · Public Information Specialist · Technical Writer/Editor · Broadcast Journalist · News Director · Disc Jockey · News Producer · Online Journalist
Videographer · Cinematographer · Production Coordinator · Production Assistant · Lighting Designer · Gaffer · Grip · Film/Video Director · Production Sound Mixer · Sound Editor · Screenwriter · Script Supervisor · Video Editor · Effects Editor · Independent Filmmaker · Film Critic
Gerri Smith, Department Chair
Katrina Roose, Administrative Support Coordinator II
Mendocino Hall 5014
Department of Communication Studies Website
DUGAN, MOLLY A.
FOSS-SNOWDEN, MICHELE S.
GALE, ELAINE E.
HOWARD, TIMOTHY L.
IRWIN, JACQUELINE "Jaccie"
LUDWIG, MARK D.
MALVINI REDDEN, SHAWNA
NEWSOME, CHEVELLE A.
TUDOR, KRISTEN A.
WILLIAMS, MARK A.E.
ZUCKERMAN, S. DAVID