MBA for Executives (EMBA)
Total units for EMBA: 41
The EMBA program is offered through collaboration between the College of Business Administration and the College of Continuing Education. The degree is offered by the College of Business Administration and administered through the College of Continuing Education and the External Graduate Programs Office (EGP) in the College of Business Administration.
Our EMBA program is designed to help just that as well as help the region redefine the business community. The new millennium is about making choices to make our lives easier and more enriched. New technological advances are happening every day that provide us with a better quality of life and the opportunity to have more flexibility than ever before. That is where the Master of Business Administration for Executives (EBMA) Program at Sacramento State comes in. The College of Business Administration recognizes the need among working professionals to advance their careers in a flexible and supportive environment that has not been met in the Sacramento region ever before. We believe that business executives deserve to have an EMBA program tailored to their unique needs.
A key consideration for the EMBA Program is that it is tailored to the needs of full-time working professionals. The program is designed to meet the needs of highly engaged working executives and managers. The entire program can be completed within 15 months. The EMBA courses are only available through the College of Continuing Education.
The EMBA program consists of 41 academic units broken down by the following components: orientation, eight required courses, four elective courses selected for each cohort, and an individual project for culminating experience. A listing of the courses is given below.
Selecting candidates for admissions is a very critical decision for the EMBA program. That is why we have adopted a system that takes into account three primary areas of evaluation when making admission decisions:
- Professional Experience (length, breadth, and depth of professional and managerial experience, and potential for career development);
- Academic Qualifications (a baccalaureate degree from an institution accredited by a regional accrediting association, previous graduate level coursework if available, and performance on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT); and
- Additional Relevant Criteria (Potential contribution to learning experience of the program, maturity and motivation, ability and willingness to commit the required time and energy to the program, community service and professional activities, and support of an applicant's employing organization).
A candidate with good academic qualifications and a solid, but short, work record will have the same opportunity as someone with a strong, long, work record, but who has been out of school for a while. We believe candidates who have successful professional careers, solid education, and additional relevant qualifications will excel in our EMBA Program.
We do require that our candidates have a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution. We also recommend applicants have at least 3 to 5 years of professional work experience. Professional work experience will provide the applicants and their peers with a more stimulating learning environment.
Since class size is limited, early applications are highly encouraged.
Please contact the EMBA Admission Help Desk (916-278-2895) or visit the EMBA Web site (csus.edu/cba/emba/admissions) for application deadlines.
(All forms can be downloaded from our Web site csus.edu/cba/emba/howtoapply.)
- To Sacramento State, Office of Graduate Studies:
- Online Sacramento State Graduate Application (csus.edu/cba/graduate/mba) and
- $55 Application Fee (you can pay this when you are filling out your online application).
- To the College of Business Administration, External Graduate Programs Office (EGP). The following are required for a complete application:
The following are required for a complete application:
- The Supplementary Application Form. You may print out a copy and manually fill out the form or fill out the form electronically by downloading the application form from www.emba.csus.edu and save a copy on your computer. Please type or print clearly on the application. Give your full legal name and avoid abbreviations. You may use additional paper if you need more space to respond, but please put your name on each page, and attach the pages to your application.
- Two copies of official transcripts. Please request 2 copies of official transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended. A Transcript Request form is included for your convenience. It is recommended that you have the transcripts directly sent to you in sealed envelopes.
- Two letters of recommendation. At least one of these letters should come from supervisors and business associates who can discuss knowledgeably your managerial and academic abilities, accomplishments, and potential. Please use the Recommendation Letter Form for the application.
- Results on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). The Computer Adaptive GMAT is administered at test centers throughout the world. To register, visit their Web site at www.mba.com. Please be sure to use the correct Sacramento State institutional code on your GMAT registration form.
- Statement of career objectives. This statement should include a description of your long- and short-term career goals, and the ways in which you believe the EMBA degree will help you to achieve them.
- A reverse chronological resume of your work experience. The resume should include job title, organization (nature of business, gross sales/revenues, number of employees), location, dates of employment, a summary of duties and responsibilities, and a description of your organizational unit (size, scope, budget, personnel, and reporting relationships) for each position held.
- Corporate/Individual Sponsorship Form. Required to insure that your organizational sponsor will agree to allow you to attend classes on the mandatory Friday afternoons and Saturdays, and to determine if your organization plans to cover all or part of your educational fees. If you will be self-supporting, please ask your employer to confirm their agreement to your attendance and indicate your personal payment option preference on the bottom of the form.
- Application interview. An application interview may be required, depending on individual circumstances. The Graduate Programs Office will contact you if needed.
Your completed Supplementary Application Form, and all supporting documents should be mailed to the address below, unless otherwise indicated:
College of Business Administration
MBA for Executive Program
Tahoe Hall, Room 1010
6000 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95819-6088
International applications are not accepted for the program.
Note: Applications are not considered complete and will not be reviewed unless GMAT scores and transcripts are included. To facilitate processing your application so that you receive an admission decision more quickly, you must submit official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities previously attended (other than courses taken at Sacramento State University) even if you attended Sacramento State as an undergraduate. You should arrange to have all official transcripts sent at the same time you submit your application.
Minimum Units and Grade Requirement for the Degree
Units for EMBA: 41
Minimum Cumulative GPA: 3.0. The minimum acceptable grade for any graduate business course is “C.” No more than two (2) courses with a grade of “C” will be counted for satisfaction of graduate program requirements.
Advancement to Candidacy
A student's program requirements are governed by the catalog in effect at the time one is accepted into and begins graduate school or by the catalog in effect at the time advancement to candidacy is approved.
Prior to enrolling in Culminating Requirements, a student must advance to candidacy. Initiation of advancement procedures is the responsibility of the student. The application to advance must be filed no later than the semester prior to enrollment in culminating experience requirement.
Eligibility to advance to candidacy requires satisfactory scholastic achievement, presentation of a plan of graduate study, and demonstration of writing proficiency. A classified graduate student in Business Administration may apply to the Graduate Business Advising Center (GBAC) for advancement to candidacy for the Master's degree after s/he has completed at least 12 units of the program requirements beyond the Foundation requirements. Students with a GPA deficiency or who have not fulfilled the Writing Placement for Graduate Students Requirement (WPG) cannot advance to candidacy.
|Orientation (1 Unit)|
|EMBA 210||EMBA Orientation||1|
|Required Courses (24 Units)|
|EMBA 222||Managerial Accounting for Executives 1||3|
|EMBA 223||Quantitative Methods for Decision Making 1||3|
|EMBA 224||Managerial Finance for Executives 1||3|
|EMBA 225||Organizational Design and Management 1||3|
|EMBA 226||Technology Management for Executives 1||3|
|EMBA 227||Strategic Marketing Management 1||3|
|EMBA 228||Strategic Analysis for Executives 1||3|
|EMBA 229||Leadership and Change Management 1||3|
|Elective Courses (12 Units)|
|Select four of the following:||12|
|Product and Brand Management 1|
|Legal Issues in Business Environment 1|
|Corporate Performance Measurements 1|
|Competing in the Global Marketplace 1|
|Managing Creativity and Innovation 1|
|Executive Decision Making|
|Project Management for Executives 1|
|Management in the Public Sector 1|
|Special Problems in Executive Management|
|Culminating Experience (4 Units)|
|EMBA 260||EMBA Individual Project||4|
Completion of EMBA 210